Layering different sized strips of paper, washi tape, or border stickers - in this case - is a fun and easy way to create a tree for a project. Add a star to the top of it, and now you have a Christmas tree. This mixed media Christmas tree canvas created by mambi Design Team member Jen Randall is a great example of how this layering can be used to create a beautiful piece of holiday artwork!
About this project, Jen writes:
"I always love to combine store bought decorations with lots of handmade touches throughout my home during the holiday. Don’t you? When I saw these gorgeous new mambiSTICK border stickers, I immediately thought they would be perfect for a stacked mixed media Christmas Tree canvas! Also, this process could be used for cards, art journal pages, or a page in a December Memories album. I would make a super fabulous gift too!"
Steps used to create this canvas:
- Cover the canvas with music sheets or book pages using Mod Podge & allow to dry.
- Once the canvas is dry, lightly paint the surface with white gesso. Don’t use a heavy application. You want the beautiful papers to be seen.
- Once this layer has dried, use modeling paste and stencil to create texture in various places around the edges. Avoid the center where the tree will be placed. Allow to dry.
- Add more gesso & acrylic paint around the canvas.
- Starting with the thickest mambiSTICKS border sticker, cut it to about 5 inches & place at the bottom of your tree. Now choose the next strip and cut it a bit smaller. Continue this process until you get to the top.
- Using Mod Podge, glue your strips down. Remember to leave room for the trunk and to place the adhesive on top of the strips as well.
- When the canvas is ready, paint another light layer of gesso to incorporate your tree into the background.
- With a sketchy line trace the edges of each strip to create some depth.
- Create your star by painting two wooden stars gold, glue them together, and add a SOFT SPOKEN™ gold glittery star to the top. Glue the whole star to the top of the canvas. It looks really great when the star extends past the top of the canvas.
- Finally add the finishing touches with sequins, doodling, and more paint!