About this project, Jen writes:
"I love giving gifts during the holiday. It is always SO FUN picking out the perfect gift (or at least I hope) suited for the special people in my life. Giving handmade gifts is always a part of my Christmas celebration. So, in November I start thinking of ideas and searching Pinterest for sparks of inspiration.
A couple of years ago I made photo coasters for my mom and mother-in-law. I used super cute pics of their grandkids and they loved them! They still have them sitting on their coffee tables. When I saw the beautiful papers in the holiday mambiSHEETS pad and the clear holiday mambiSTICKS, I knew I wanted to make coasters again this year! They really make great gifts for neighbors, teachers, co-workers, or family."
click images below to enlarge
mambiSHEETS, mambiSTICKS clear stickers, gesso, white acrylic paint, MODGE PODGE™, tile coasters, wood Squares from Hobby Lobby, cork squares from Hobby Lobby, spray protectant to seal and protect from liquids, hot glue, twine, and sandpaper / nail file.
- Quickly sand the wood to smooth the sides. A nail file works well for this.
- Prepare the wood by painting with gesso. Allow time to dry.
- Paint edges of coasters with white paint. Let dry.
- Measure square top and cut paper to size.
- Spread a good amount go MODGE PODGE™ onto the wood and back of paper. Place on wood and smooth carefully. Be sure to spread some MODGE PODGE™ on the top too. Let dry.
- Add a mambiSTICKS clear sticker and add a thin layer of MODGE PODGE™ over the top.
- Hot glue the cork pieces to the bottom.
- Once your coasters are ready, spray with a protectant (Jen used Krylon) outside or in a well ventilated area. Don't skip this step, as the coasters need to be protected from water. Following directions for drying time.
- Stack them up, tie with twine, and attach a fabulous tag from mambiSHEETS.
Such a great idea! Thanks for the inspiration, Jen!